- 1 A dishwasher buying guide in India
- 2 Is a dishwasher worth buying?
- 3 What are the common misconceptions about a dishwasher in India?
- 4 Different types of dishwashers
- 5 What are the most important features of a dishwasher?
- 6 What do I need to run a dishwasher in India?
- 7 Which dishwasher brands are available in India?
- 8 What accessories do I need for the dishwasher?
- 9 Conclusion: Dishwasher buying guide India
A dishwasher buying guide in India
Dishwashers in India are going through the same cycle as washing machines. A decade back, everyone frowned at the idea of a washing machine. Today, washing machines are an essential part of the Indian household.
We often hear people say,
- A dishwasher cannot handle tough stains from the Indian kitchen.
- You cannot fit big pans, pressure cookers, thawas, kadhais, and other odd-shaped Indian utensils.
- A dishwasher consumes a lot of water and power.
In this dishwasher buyers guide, we address these vital questions and concerns. Let us start by addressing the most critical question of all, “is a dishwasher worth buying?”.
Is a dishwasher worth buying?
Yes! a dishwasher is worth buying. Think about it. It is no longer easy or cheap to find a maid in India. The lockdown has taught us vital lessons on social distancing and the need for hygiene. A dishwasher can make your life so much easier.
The right dishwasher (emphasis on right) will clean your dirty dishes, give you a hygienic wash, dry your dishes, consume 1/4th of the water that your maid typically uses, and provide you with time to spend with your family.
A dishwasher is no different from a washing machine. Load your soiled dishes, wait for a while, unload clean dishes. In some ways, better than a washing machine because dishwashers make your utensils safer by killing 99% of the germs.
What are the common misconceptions about a dishwasher in India?
The following are some dishwasher myths.
- Dishwashers are expensive – The answer is yes and no. No, because they are the same as washing machines. We don’t think of them as being too expensive not to buy. Yes, because some dishwasher models are costly, Siemens dishwasher IQ500 SN258I06TE, for instance, is costly, but not all dishwashers are expensive.
- A dishwasher machine cannot handle Indian cooking – Dishwashers come with a foldable rack or an adjustable basket that can fit most utensils from the Indian kitchen. They also clean your soiled utensils better than washing dishes by hand.
- The water consumption is higher – Manual washing consumes about 30 to 50 liters of water, each wash. On the other hand, a dishwasher uses 9 to 16 liters of water every wash, plus it dries your dishes.
- We cannot wash kadhai – Dishwashers excel in cleaning your dishes. Even the tough, burnt stains on the kadhai will disappear. Remember, dishwashers use hot water for washing utensils, which can remove tough stains.
Different types of dishwashers
We hope the above section addressed some of your concerns about the dishwasher. Let us look at the different types of dishwashers in India.
- Freestanding dishwasher – A freestanding dishwasher or a standalone dishwasher is one that you can place anywhere in your house. These are larger than a tabletop dishwasher and have a larger place setting such a 12 place settings dishwasher or 13 place settings. We recommend a freestanding dishwasher for your home as it is portable (same as a washing machine).
- Countertop dishwasher – The Voltas Beko DT8S is a tabletop dishwasher. A countertop or a portable dishwasher is small and not suitable for heavy washing or large families. If you are a bachelor, then choose this compact dishwasher for washing utensils.
- Built-in dishwasher – A fully integrated dishwasher is one that fits into your kitchen cabinet and is not moveable. Choose this if you have a place under your kitchen counter for a dishwasher.
The dishwasher price depends on its type. A tabletop dishwasher will cost you less than a freestanding dishwasher but can handle only fewer dishes.
What are the most important features of a dishwasher?
Once you make up your mind to buy a dishwasher, look for the following features.
A dishwasher’s price depends on the brand, features, capacity, and overall quality. Choose a dishwasher from a reputable brand like the Seimens or Bosch. Think of dishwashers as an investment rather than an expense. Over time, a dishwasher will save money and time.
After-sales support and customer service are as vital as the machine itself. Take IFB, its dishwashers are reliable and less expensive. At the same time, their customer service is pathetic. Choose a dishwasher brand that will give you peace of mind post-purchase. Read our review of India’s best dishwashers to know more.
Dishwasher brands use the term place setting to indicate the load capacity of a dishwasher. One place setting is the space for a large dinner plate, a small dish, a saucer, a bowl, a cup, a glass, a knife, two teaspoons, and a fork. The following are different place settings and our recommendations on the family size.
|Place setting||Family size|
|8 place setting||Small (2 members)|
|12 place setting||Small-mid (3 to 4 members)|
|13 place setting||Mid-large (4 to 5 members)|
|14 place setting||Large (5 to 6 members)|
|15 place setting||Large (6 to 8 members)|
Dishwashers use a wash cycle to clean the dishes. Unlike hand washing, where we move the dishes and scrub them, a dishwasher does the reverse. All your soiled utensils stay in one place, and the dishwasher uses its spray arm to force powerful jets of water onto the dishes.
A washing cycle is a process of cleaning inside a dishwasher. Dishwashers use a wash program to manage the wash cycle.
Choose a dishwasher that gives you maximum flexibility. Each dishwasher brand has its design for its foldable racks. Ensure that the foldable rack is easy to use and has height adjustments. You will need the following in your dishwasher.
- Lower basket (foldable racks) – The lower basket of a dishwasher should have foldable tines/spikes. You will use the bottom rack for bowls, dishes, pots, pans, lids, and trays from your OTG, which have tough stains. The lower spray arm is more powerful and hence suitable for cleaning tough stains.
- Upper rack – Use the upper basket is for delicate items such as cups, glassware, bowls, and small plates. You should be able to adjust the upper rack’s height using the height adjusters.
- Cutlery Tray – A cutlery tray is not mandatory but good to have. It is the third rack for cleaning knives, spoons, and forks.
- Cutlery Basket – The cutlery basket is suitable for loading unsorted items, like spoons and forks. Most dishwashers come with a cutlery basket.
Dishwashers come with wash programs to handle different sets of loads. The following wash programs are vital in your dishwasher.
- Intensive – This wash cycle is suited for washing vessels with very stubborn burned or dried-on food. In this mode, the dishwasher heats the water to 70C to provide an intensive wash.
- Auto – The dishwasher uses its internal soil sensor to determine the water temperature and cycle time. This mode is best suited for cleaning dishes with part dried, common household food remnants.
- ECO – ECO mode uses the least amount of water and power. It is best suited for fewer dishes.
- Glass – This wash cycle is best suited for delicate glasses and glassware. This dishwasher uses extra gentle drying to ensure no breakages in the glass.
- Quick Wash – Use this mode for a quick wash. This cycle is best suited for washing dishes with partly dried, common household food remnants.
- Half load – It is a useful wash program when you have only fewer utensils to clean.
Ensure that your dishwasher has a robust build quality. Look for stainless steel outer body and stainless steel inner tubs. Top dishwashers come with rust-proof coating in the inner chamber and use an inverter motor with low power consumption and long life.
Ensure that your dishwasher brand provides a sufficient warranty. Most dishwasher manufacturers offer a two to three-year warranty. LG dishwasher comes with a 10-year warranty on their DirectDrive inverter motor.
What do I need to run a dishwasher in India?
To run a dishwasher, you will need the following items.
- Dishwasher salt – To remove water hardness from hard water. Hard water is not suitable for dishwashers as it leaves spots on your dishes. This dishwasher uses a water softening device to remove water hardness.
- Dishwasher detergent/tablet – The dishwasher uses the detergent to wash the utensils. Some detergent tablets have a combination of salt and rinse aid within them. Dishwasher soap is nothing but a detergent.
- Dishwasher rinse aid – Assists the drying function to remove water spots when drying.
Which dishwasher brands are available in India?
Most kitchen appliance brands make dishwashers in India. Please read our complete review to know India’s best dishwasher brands. The following are a few dishwasher brands.
- IFB dishwasher
- Bosch dishwasher
- Faber dishwasher
- Siemens dishwasher
- LG dishwasher
- Bpl dishwasher
- Whirlpool dishwasher
- Voltas Beko dishwasher
- Elica dishwasher
What accessories do I need for the dishwasher?
The following are useful accessories.
- Stand – Mount your dishwasher on a stand. Using a stand will raise the dishwasher’s height and make it easy for you to load your dirty dishes.
- Dishwasher cover – You can buy a dishwasher cover to protect it from the elements. Check the dimensions before you buy a cover.
Conclusion: Dishwasher buying guide India
A dishwasher is a useful kitchen appliance. It can save time, money, water, and remove your dependency on your maid. It is a myth to believe that dishwashers cannot handle Indian utensils from Indian cooking.